Friday, February 4, 2011

SAGE ON THE STAGE or GUIDE FROM THE SIDE

I recently had a power-lunch with about ten teachers to talk about education.  Our PD comitteeman @justintarte selected a few videos for us to watch and serve as a springboard for discussion.  One of the videos (very humorous) - "Teach Different," featured various men and women with rather ironic statements about their future vocation in education.


They made statements like:  "when I become a teacher I want to sit in the teacher's lounge and complain ...," "when I become a teacher I want to lecture all day long ...".  But the statement that stood out to me the most was the woman that said, "when I become a teacher I want to be the sage on the stage."  At some point in our careers, in some narcissistic kind of way, we probably all have wanted to be the sage on the stage.  A Yoda kind of character that everyone focuses on for all the answers.  It's kind of a high that comes from being valued and recognized.  The sages reality is that the high is short-lived or never comes at all.  The irony is that the high, the value and recognition comes by playing exactly the opposite role.  Being the "guide from the side" or that person that leads others to discover their own truths and watching as the students around you each find that "ah huh" moment.  That is what creates the greatest high and reward in education.

When I became a teacher I wanted to be the guide from the side that let my students define their world and everything in it.  At times, I was better at this than others.  As a principal, my purpose hasn't changed a whole lot. I still work to be a guide from the side only now my students include teachers, students, custodians, cooks, aides, librarians, and other administrators.  Sometimes I'm better at this than others.  Sometimes I witness that "ah huh" moment.  The high that comes from sharing in that moment never wains and always brings a sense of pride.  This is really about giving the students and staff that you work with a voice and choice in their learning and professional development.  Mandates and directives will influence the charted course but the learner is the one steering the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment